Looking for an all-purpose cleaner that is free of harmful chemicals, won't harm the water system once down the drain, and safe for your health? We have a DIY recipe for you that is as simple as it gets, and we believe simplicity is best.
- 1 spray bottle (used up your facial toner? re purpose the bottle for this recipe!)
- 1 mason jar- any size works
- 8 to 32 oz white vinegar
- 1 orange
- cheese cloth or fine strainer
- *optional- antibacterial essential oils such as a citrus, eucalyptus, or lavender
- Sanitize your mason jar.
- Wash your orange (perhaps with our produce wash for extra assurance), enjoy the fruit and reserve the peel.
- Tear the peel apart and put inside the mason jar.
- Fill the mason jar with distilled white vinegar.
- Seal the jar and place in a dark cabinet for at least one week.
- Using a cheese cloth or fine strainer, separate the liquid from the orange peels and pour contents into your spray bottle.* (add any additional essential oils at this point)
- Clean your sink, surfaces, appliances and more!
- Refill when contents are gone.
Why It Works
White vinegar is a great base for any household cleaning spray because it is highly acidic, making it a natural disinfectant. It not only is biodegradable and safe for the environment but also is budget friendly and multi-purposeful. The orange peel is the most effective citrus for cleaning because the essential oils cut through grease and grime particularly well. Plus, it provides a bright citusy smell that is as natural as it gets.
Let us know how this recipe works for you in the comments below!