This week our Stockist Spotlight falls upon Indigenous and woman owned Rainfall Gallery & Gifts, located in Bella Bella, BC., Canada, on Heiltsuk Territory. We are excited to feature this little interview with owner and operator K̓áwáziɫ Marilyn Slett!
(Remember as the entire world struggles with supply chain issues and shipping delays to go out and support your local small businesses!)
- What kind of shop do you have? What kinds of goods do you carry?
Art gallery and gift shop, I carry a wide variety of indigenous brands and collaborations. As well as brands that align with my values.
- Describe your shop in three words.
Indigenous, inspiring & insightful
- What inspired you to open your store? Feel free to share a how you got started story here if you please!
I have had opportunities to travel and I love to bring home little gifts for my family. I wanted to open a shop in my home community of Bella Bella where people can feel good about their purchases and create a warm and inviting space - supporting indigenous brands and brands that align with my vision.. Another important inspiration was my father assembled a book of different stories about my great great grandfather Captain Carpenter. He was a master artist and boat builder (traditional canoes and schooners) he maintained a log book of his shop transactions (circa late 1800’s) - I loved the story of self determination, sovereignty and community and I felt the pull to open a shop following my ancestors path.
- What aspects of being a shop owner are your favorite?
Creating a platform for indigenous brands.
- Are there words you live by or wisdom you'd like to share?
I like to create space and showcase and empower artists, and designers.
- How do you practice self-care?
I love listening to pod-casts, spend time with friends over a cup of tea, and I always make sure to get a good nights rest, you need your rest to function properly.
- Besides shopping with you, are there any other ways folks can support you?
When my social media platforms are set up (soon) people can tag me in their pictures, in the meantime they can email me at email@example.com
- Is there anything else you'd like to share with our readers?
I will burn some Sea Witch incense from time to time - and people always say they love the smell of the shop!